Saturday, September 4, 2010

OMG Challenger #2 : Robert Tan

The Golden Oldie















44-year old Robert Tan is a singer and a musician. He certainly looks the part, in a shiny shirt, black vest and sunglasses indoors. His voice is deep and clear and he speaks with a clarity normally associated with radio DJs. He sings oldies, rock and roll and jazz, but what sets him apart from other crooners is the fact that Robert was born blind.

How amazing is that? He's blind, but he plays the piano and the guitar (although he admits, the piano is his better instrument), and on the night of the recording, he had more fans than even Luminiq Crew! His fans were super supportive and it just made Robert's story all the more heartwarming.

So why'd you join OMG!?
I want to seize any opportunity to leverage my talents and of course not forgetting the $50,000.

What would you do with the $50k if you won?
I would like to start a business, an IT business. Or further my education in music, probably a Diploma in Piano or classical or pop/jazz music, from London College of Music. Certain schools here offer the course that is tied to London College of Music.

A business in IT? Why IT?
I was a software engineer from 1993 - 2003, so its something that I am familiar with.

How did you get started out in music?
I joined Talentime in school when I was 8 and won some trophies in my younger days for singing. I had learned to play the piano from about 8 or 9 years old, and started to play it more seriously when I was 15 or 16. I'd had about 3 to 4 different teachers by then. I picked up the guitar along the way with friends at school.

So what do you do in real life now?
I'm a freelance musician and music teacher, I teach the piano.

Who would you most likely challenge?
My first choice would be David Lin. I think he's been up on the podium too long :) Failing which I will challenge Jill Marie and my last choice would be Singapore Char Siew Baos. But quite unlikely because they just joined the show last week.

Looks like you have a strategy...
My strategy is first I'm going after people in the same genre. Followed by who is the weakest.

What do you think of the judges?
They are showbiz people in one way or another, so to get tips from them is quite invaluable. I guess FD is one of the more practical ones in terms of his feedback. I agree with what he says, you may have talent, but can you entertain people?

So do you think you can (entertain people)?
70% - 90% yes. :)

Robert will be tearing up the piano keys with Rock Around the Clock, so catch him on Episode 5 of One Moment of Glory! this Wednesday, 8pm only on Channel 5. Its the second last Survival Round, just 2 weeks to go before its Eliminations - who will be the best 8 contenders entering the next phase of the show?
Do you have an amazing story and talent worthy of the $50,000 prize? Email omg@mediacorp.com.sg, producers want YOU!

:: Pics courtesy of Shawn Pang, Channel 5 Marketing team ::

No comments:

Post a Comment